The Hu group at Georgia Tech seeks to understand the mechanisms of energy storage and conversion at the atomic level and reveal structure-property relationships for knowledge/data-driven materials design.
Specifically, we use quantum mechanical modelling combined with materials informatics to study three important applications:
(1) electrochemical catalysis,
(2) neuromorphic computing,
(3) light harvesting.
We mainly work on earth-abundant and environment friendly materials with a focus on 2D materials and perovskites. Notably, we take advantage of a host of computational tools at different levels of theory to fully capture the underlying physical phenomena governing the broad range of functional properties in the materials. Through close collaborations with experimental groups from both universities and national labs including Oak Ridge National Laboratory, our ultimate goal is to realize atomically precision and automation in materials design.
We are now looking for candidates who are interested in developing and applying ab initio computational methods and materials informatics to design functional materials for energy-related applications. Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) at Georgia Tech is amongst largest, most diverse, and top ranked materials program in the U.S. In the 2023-2024 U.S. News & World Report ranking of engineering schools, the MSE graduate program held steady as #7 in the nation.
Georgia Tech is one of the nation’s top universities, distinguished by its commitment to improving the human condition through science and technology.The Georgia Tech campus occupies 400+ acres in the heart of the city of Atlanta (midtown), where about 25,000 students receive a focused, technology based education.
Graduate application requirements:
• A BS or/and MS degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or in a related field of science and engineering is required.
• An undergraduate degree GPA of at least 3.2 is required.Over the past ten years, the average GPA of students accepted into the graduate program was a 3.6 on a 4.0 scale.
• International students must have an acceptable English Language proficiency test. Georgia Tech accepts both the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and the IELTS. A score of at least 100 (on the Internet based test), with a minimum of 19 in each category, and a minimum of 26 in the speaking category is required. The Institute minimum requirements for IELTS are: Reading: 6.5, Listening: 6.5, Speaking: 6.5, Writing: 5.5, Overall: 7.
How to apply:
Prospective students who are not part of Georgia Tech should apply to the School of Materials Science and Engineering directly online through http://www.grad.gatech.edu/apply-now, and send Dr. Hu (email@example.com) your CV and some research areas in our group you may be interested in.
Deadlines: Sept 15 for Spring 2024, and Dec. 15 for Fall 2024.
Postdoc application requirements:
• A PhD degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or in a related field of science and engineeringis required.
• Candidates with proficiency in density functional theory (DFT), quantum Monte Carlo (QMC), machine learning (ML), and molecular dynamics (MD) are highly encouraged to apply.
• We also seek candidates with expertise in just one particular listed area but are interested in our research and have a passion to learn new skills. If you are not sure if your background would be a good fit for our group, feel free to contact Dr. Hu for further discussions.
How to apply: Please email Dr. Hu (firstname.lastname@example.org) a cover letter, your CV, and a list of references. Examples of previous work, papers and/or code will also be useful to include here.
Deadlines: Applications are open until all positions are filled.