Postdoc in Alloy Development
August 13, 2023
The School of Engineering is one of four schools within Jönköping University. We offer attractive education at undergraduate and graduate levels and conduct research in several areas. As a collaborative school, we spread knowledge to the surrounding society and co-develop new technologies. We have been awarded the accreditation “ Engaged University ” by the international organization ACEEU (Accreditation Council for Entrepreneurial and Engaged Universities).
The department of Materials and Manufacturing is a vibrant multidisciplinary research and education environment that advances the state- of-the-art knowledge and fosters the development of highly skilled researchers and professionals. Our research focuses on material properties and manufacturing processes for mainly metallic components, specifically cast components. The department cooperates with various national and international research institutes as well as industrial partners and is engaged in basic and applied research projects. Coproduction with industrial partners is a strong characteristic of our project portfolio, both with large companies and SMEs.
Unleash Your Potential in Alloy Development: Postdoc Opportunity at the School of Engineering, Materials and Manufacturing!
Our offer to you
A post-doctoral position is available for highly motivated, and goal-oriented candidates with a background in Materials Science and Engineering or equivalent. The tasks include both education and research. Course development, coordination and lecturing on topics related to materials and manufacturing (especially sustainable metallic materials and components) topics are expected.
The main research focus is on developing high-performance metallic materials, using novel concepts such as high entropy alloys, as well as advanced materials characterization.
The aim is to design, develop, and examine high-performance and sustainable alloys that are durable in harsh environments (e.g., high temperature, hydrogen, corrosive, etc.).
The research involves:
· computational thermodynamics,
· developing high-throughput screening algorithms and empirical models,
· experimental alloy production (casting/forming),
· testing and characterization of thermos-physical and mechanical properties.
Besides their fundamental research requirements, most of our research projects are industrial-oriented and involve industrial partners. You will be encouraged to cooperate closely with, not only our department personnel but also industrial partners in the project. Involvement in, and eventually leading, external research funds applications is also expected.
You will also co-supervise postgraduate students within the topic.
To ensure industrial relevance, it is important to maintain a wide perspective on the research, including environment, economy, and social impact.
We are looking for candidates with a PhD degree in materials, mechanical engineering, materials physics or in an equivalent field. The PhD degree should have been obtained no more than 2 years before the deadline for application. An older degree may be acceptable under special circumstances, which may involve sick leave, paternal leave or similar.
We expect that you as a candidate are result-oriented and have a high level of motivation and will to face challenges and conduct systematic research to solve them, if necessary, by learning/adopting new techniques/theories.
It is also important to:
· thoroughly understand and conduct good research practices according to the desired time table.
· Be creative and eager to share knowledge via publication in reputed journals/conferences.
· Able to efficiently supervise under- and/or post-graduate students.
· Willing to participate in teaching activities.
To succeed in the role of postdoc we also expect that you are structured and responsible with a genuine interest and curiosity in the subject and care for research quality. Which also requires a flexible work approach, be resilient to external stresses and be able to manage multiple work tasks simultaneously. It is also important to have good communication and collaboration skills when working together with students and staff in a multicultural environment.
Furthermore, it is considered meritorious if you :
· have a background in physical and mechanical metallurgy.
· have demonstrate experience with conducting microstructural characterization techniques such as SEM, TEM, XRD, EDS, EBSD, FIB/SEM etc., as well as physico-mechanical characterization techniques such as tensile, compression, DSC/TGA, etc. as well as analysis of the data with good knowledge of possible errors.
· thoroughly understand the scientific ethic rules and demonstrate a successful scientific record via publication in high-ranked journals/conferences.
· have demonstrate ability to work efficiently, conscientiously, and professionally both independently and in an international team environment.
· have demonstrate commitment to technical and scientific excellence as well as timeliness of deliverables.
· have hands-on experience with alloy design strategies including high- throughput screening algorithms.
Jönköping University and the School of Engineering has an international focus, which requires thriving in a multicultural environment and English proficiency for teaching and research tasks, both in writing and orally.
For complete eligibility requirements for a Post-doctoral position at Jönköping University, see the applicable parts of the “Regulations for the employment of teachers at Jönköping University”- https: // ju.se/about- us/employment-regulations-for-teachers
The position is a 2 year employment as Postdoc of 100%, starting September 2023, by agreement.
As an employee, you are entitled to favourable benefits regulated in Swedish law and agreements, as well as the benefits offered by Jönköping University. Collective agreements and individual salary settings are applicable, visit https: // ju.se/en/about-us/work-at-jonkoping-university/jonkoping-university- as-a-workplace.html
The School of Engineering encourages applications of both female and male applicants. We are actively working for a more balanced distribution between male and female researchers/teachers. We value having an organization made up of diverse skills, experiences, and abilities, which is why we encourage applications from all backgrounds. We are committed to equality and diversity within our organization.
Welcome with your application, no later than 2023-08-13.
Your application is preferred in PDF format through our recruitment system and should include:
· personal cover letter motivating your interest for the position,
· 2 references,
· publication list,
· description of research plan.
We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
Jönköping University is a modern institution, characterised by internationalisation and an entrepreneurial spirit. We attract highly qualified, inventive and enterprising people from all around the world. We develop new knowledge and share our expertise through solid collaborations with industry and business, the public sector and other higher education institutions. We offer an equal and inclusive workplace, and we welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds.