Research projects in our laboratory are transdisciplinary by nature. We study how mechanical forces affect the biological functions in living cells and organisms, bring new insights into the innovations of bio-inspired engineering to solve challenges in health care and the environment. Research in our lab integrates theory of solid and fluid mechanics, optical imaging, optogentics, nanotechnology, biochemistry, genome editing, and computational modeling. We apply our findings and insights to enable preventing, diagnosing, and treating mechanics-associated human diseases, including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and brain disorders.Successful applicant will receive cutting-edge multidisciplinary trainingand will participate projects with full financial support. We deem it is our key responsibility to promote our students to successfully achieve their career goals. Our lab website is: https://quangdikebar.wixsite.com/tang-lab
Minimum Qualifications for candidate:
1. Strong self-motivation and work ethics for scientific research;
2. Excellent research experience with peer-reviewed journal publication record demonstrating accomplishments;
3. Prior hands-on experience with design and construction of optical microscopes, electronics, laser, nanofabrication, biochemistry, programming (such as LabView, Python, or MATLAB), are highly preferred, but not required;
4. Although our projects require excellent experimental skills, experience with analytical and numerical simulation, e.g., multiscalecomputational modeling, are strong plus;
5. For PhD student candidates: A degree of M.S. is highly preferred. Background in one or more of the engineering or science discipline(mechanical and/or aerospace engineering, materials science, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, bioengineering, or physics) is encouraged to apply. Qualified TOEFL/GRE scores to meet admission requirement is necessary.
6. (Possible option) For Post-doctoral fellow candidate: A PhD or MD degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline, including but not limited to mechanical engineering, materials science, biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, bioengineering, physics, chemistry, computer science, medicine, or biology, is required;
Lab Leader Bio-sketch: Prof. Xin Tang received his HHMI-funded post-doctoral training at Harvard University and PhD degree from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is an assistant professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at University of Florida, with affiliation to J. Crayton Pruitt Family Department of Biomedical Engineering, UF Health Cancer Center, and McKnight Brain Institute.
About UF: UF ranks among America’s Top 5 best public universitiesand Top 28 best colleges in U.S. News 2022 rankings. Its College of Engineering is one of the largest and most dynamic engineering colleges in the U. S. It has 9 academic departments and 20+ central research institutes, providing students with world-class comprehensive courses, practical research conditions, and scientific facilities. UF locates in Gainesville city, which is known as the “Healthiest Community in America” and won the “Gold Well City” award for multiple times.
Contact Info: We cordially welcome highly motivated and creative students to join us. Interested candidates can send the professional CV(summarizing previous research/work experience, research interest, and other career accomplishments) and contact information of 2 reference letter writers to Dr. Tang at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “PhD candidate application”.