Post Doc. within sustainable PEM based energy conversion system component development
University of Southern Denmark
The Section of Chemical Engineering (ChE), Department of Green Technology (IGT), University of Southern Denmark, (SDU) invites applications for a Postdoc position within the area of metal nanoparticle electrocatalyst and proton conductive membrane development for renewable energy conversion, especially in the field of proton exchange membrane fuel cells. The position is scheduled for two years with the possibility of extension of another year. The activity is supported by a large national project granted by Innovation Fund Denmark.
The targeted starting date for the position is 1st of August 2023 or sooner
The position offers a chance to share the expertise of ChE within the fields of metal nano particle material synthesis and characterization, proton exchange membrane, electrochemistry, energy conversion and technical development on critical material circular economy.
For more information in working at SDU and living in Odense please visit
https: // www. sdu.dk/en/omsdu/internationalstaff
For more information on the department please see https: // www. sdu.dk/en/omsdu/instituttercentre/igt-green-technology
Job description A successful candidate will get a unique chance to participate in research and collaboration with the scientific as well as commercial communities in the field of electrocatalyst and PEM membrane characterization, production and recycling and contribute to research within applied science.
The main tasks include the following activities:
· Metal nanoparticle catalyst, proton exchange membrane and electrode assembly comprehensive characterization and benchmarking
· Catalyst development, synthesis and method optimization
· PEM membrane processing and manufacturing
· Electrode component recycling and reuse
· Inorganic chemical synthesis, material separation and purification, method development to provide recommendations for upscaling
It is preferred if candidates have experience and contributions within one or more of the following areas:
· High temperature proton exchange membrane characterization and processing
· Polymer chemistry or polymer science for renewable energy conversion.
· Proton exchange membrane fuel cell and electrolyzer catalyst based on either precious or non-precious element syntheses/characterization
· Catalytic body especially alloy preparation, characterization or structure development for electrochemical conversion, emission control or petroleum chemistry
· Battery and/or supercapacitor electrode materials, high surface area carbon nanomaterials or ceramics (synthesis, electrochemistry, adsorption studies, etc.)
· Gas diffusion electrode (GDE) and membrane electrode assembly (MEA) preparation, characterization and postmortem analysis
· Industrial catalysis or heterogeneous catalysis
· Wet (precious) metal chemistry
· Record of article reviews, contribution in book chapters or intellectual properties
Representative publications from our group are
ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2022, 14, 44, 49658–49671
https: // pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acsami.2c12327
App. Cat. B, 2018, 239 636-643,
https: // www. sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0926337318307835
Anal. Chem. 2018, 90, 24, 14181–14187
https: // pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.analchem.8b02697
ChemElectroChem, 2019, 6, 17, 4471-4482
https: // chemistry- europe.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/celc.201900846
ChemCatChem2023,15, e202201470(1 of 12)
https: // chemistry- europe.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cctc.202201470
More articles can be found at https: // portal.findresearcher.sdu.dk/en/persons/mashu/publications/
We offer We offer an inspirational international research environment with excellent infrastructure including large scale facilities and strong collaborations with a vast international network, research organizations and commercial stakeholders. We offer a position from which to further develop the fundamental chemistry and to combine this knowledge with an ambitious up- scaling perspective.
We expect The candidate shall have a PhD degree or equivalent in chemistry / chemical engineering / material science / physical chemistry /nanotechnology / metallurgy / polymer science or similar field.
We are seeking a highly motivated, self-driven candidate, with outstanding research background and engineering experience, a proven record of publications in international peer reviewed journals who communicates well in an international environment. The candidate must be able to carry out independent, systematic and rigorous research and engineering work clearly aligned with the overall project activity.
Contact information Further information is available from
Assoc. Prof. Shuang Ma Andersen email@example.com Tel: 6550 9186 or Head of section Knud Villy Christensen firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 65507478
Application deadline is 1st July 2023.
Requirements for the position Employment as a postdoctoral fellow for this position requires a PhD-degree within in chemistry, material science or a closely related field.
Applications will be assessed by an assessment committee. Applicants will be informed of their assessment by the Faculty.
Shortlisting may be used. Shortlisted applicants will be assessed by an assessment panel.
As part of the overall assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, the applicant may be called for interview.
Conditions of employment The successful applicant will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations.
Application Your application including the required attachments must be uploaded through the link “Apply Online”. Please read guidelines for applicants.
Attached files must be in Adobe pdf format. All pdf-files must be unlocked and allow binding and may not be password protected. In case you have more than one file per field you need to combine the pdf-files into a single file, as each field handles only one file. Each box can only contain a single file of max. 10 Mb.
The application including the required attachments must be in English.
The applications must include:
· A motivation letter including research statement
· Detailed Curriculum Vitae
· Certificates/Diplomas (MSc and/or PhD) – Danish or English translation
· List of publications including full copies of the three most important representative publications
· A list of at least two references including contact details
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
Further information about The Faculty of Engineering.
Application deadline: 01/07/2023