Postdoctoral Associate position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Yu-Chiao Chiu at the Department of Medicine and UPMC Hillman Cancer Center at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. The candidates will engage in bioinformatics research to systematically understand the biology of adult and pediatric cancers, to identify diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers, and to improve cancer therapy. Potential research topics include deep learning applications to spatial single cell profiles and multi-modal genomics and pharmacogenomics data. At the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center, the candidates will have the opportunity to build cross-disciplinary collaborations with clinical, translational, and basic scientists in order to bridge cutting-edge computational algorithms to unmet needs in precision oncology.
The Chiu Lab focuses on the development of state-of-the-art machine and deep learning models that integrate multi-modal genomic and pharmacogenomic data to study cancer biology and improve cancer therapy. Our latest publications are well-recognized by broad cancer and bioinformatics communities: Science Advances (selected by @NCIgenomics as the #1 paper of 2021), BMC Medical Genomics (selected as Springer Nature Highlight in Genetics of 2019), and Briefings in Bioinformatics. Our lab has been very actively funded by federal and other sources, including the NIH (NCI R00), Hillman Developmental Pilot Program (NCI P30), Pittsburgh Liver Research Center (NIDDK P30), and The Fund for Innovation in Cancer Informatics. Please visit our lab website https://www.chiu-lab.org/ for more information.
Qualifications or Expectations:
- Experience in deep learning, machine learning, single-cell and spatial omics, and/or image processing is strongly desired.
- Highly motivated scientists who have recently earned a Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, electrical/biomedical engineering, computer science, or a related field.
- Must be proficient with Linux and multiple bioinformatics programming languages, such as Python, R, MATLAB, and Perl.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal English communication skills.
- Strong experience in computational modeling of biological systems, large-scale cancer multi-omic datasets (TCGA, TARGET, CCLE, etc.), high-throughput drug and genetic screens (DepMap, PRISM, GDSC, etc.), and common bioinformatics resources (NCBI, UCSC, Ensembl, etc.) is essential.
- Candidates will receive dedicated mentorship on career development planning, career development awards, and postdoctoral fellowships such as the Hillman Postdoctoral Fellowships for Innovative Cancer Research (https://hillmanresearch.upmc.edu/research/hillman-fellows/postdoctoral/).
- Our lab members have cross-disciplinary experience spanning across engineering, informatics, biology, and medicine.
- The PI has successful experience in acquiring the prestigious NIH/NCI K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award and postdoctoral fellowships, as well as mentoring F99/K00 predoc to postdoc transition award application.
For more info about this position, visit:https://cfopitt.taleo.net/careersection/pitt_faculty_external_pd/jobdetail.ftl?job=22005468
Visit join.pitt.edu and View Requisition Number #22005468 to apply. Please submit curriculum vitae, one-page research statement, and contact information of three references. Review of applications will start immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.