The Buffington lab is seeking a self-motivated individual for a postdoctoral associate position within the Center for Precision Environmental Health (CPEH). Dr. Shelly Buffington’s research program focuses on how maternal environmental exposures including diet and infection alter offspring neurodevelopmental outcomes and risk for neurodevelopmental disorders. Recently, Dr. Buffington’s team discovered that diet-induced disruption of the maternal gut microbiome adversely affects behavioral outcomes across multiple descendant generations (Di Gesù, Matz et al., Cell Rep 2022).
The postdoctoral associate will be involved in multidisciplinary research across neuroscience, microbiology, genomics/sequencing analysis, epigenetics, cell and molecular biology, and preclinical animal models. The individual will also incorporate cutting-edge microscopy techniques on instruments available in the CPEH including super-resolution microscopes. This position is ideal for an individual who has training in molecular biology, -omics techniques, and/or advanced microscopy techniques, and a thorough knowledge of statistical analysis. The position requires work with rodent animal models. The candidate will also contribute to grant and manuscript writing.
- Designs, conducts, and carefully documents research experiments, including but not limited to animal husbandry, behavioral experiments, ELISAs, qPCR, and bacteriological culturing.
- Evaluates and analyzes data and generates figures using Prism and Adobe.
- Defines experimental problems and possible solutions.
- Attends and discusses results of experiments in laboratory group meetings
- Conducts literature searches, writes manuscripts, and contributes to grant submissions and the occasional journal review.
- Trains and supervises less experienced research staff as a senior member in the lab.
- Oversees the maintenance of lab equipment and lab environment.
- Attends and presents research at annual conferences.
- MD or Ph.D. in Basic Science, Health Science, or a related field.
- No experience required.
- Experience culturing anaerobic bacteria and using an anaerobic chamber.
- Doctoral Degree in Molecular Biology or other Biomedical Sciences.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.