Postdoctoral Scholar in Geography/GIScience
Texas State University San Marcos
A Postdoctoral scholar position is available in in the Department of Geography and Environmental Studies at Texas State University in San Marcos, Texas. We seek an individual with a Ph.D. in Geography/GIScience or a related field with a strong interest in one or more of these areas: geospatial data science, social media, health GIS, geovisualization, and web-GIS. Publications in high-impact journals is expected. The position is 90% research (e.g., data collection, data analysis, development of software packages, grant proposal writing, and conference/journal papers preparation) and 10% for teaching, which include the training of undergraduate, master’s, and/or Ph.D. students. These activities will be led by Dr. Su Yeon Han. The postdoctoral fellow will receive training and mentorship and will have the opportunity of working on one or more of the following ongoing research projects:
● CyberGIS-Vis: Development of open-source software tools for interactive geospatial visualization and scalable visual analytics.
● Development of CyberGIS decision support tools to help address real-world problems in health and disaster research, including: (1) identifying vulnerable populations/neighborhoods, (2) exploring health disparities, (3) forecasting infectious diseases, and (4) studying human behavior and movement during disasters.
● Analysis of human mobility utilizing big data (e.g., Twitter, SafeGraph, and mobile phone data)
● Analysis of Twitter data related to climate change using machine learning and natural language processing (NLP).
● Health GIS and HIV/AIDS studies: development of open-source GIS for modeling and forecasting HIV cases.
The appointment is initially for a year and is renewable for a second year based on performance. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and relevant research.
● Ph.D. in Geography/GIScience, computer science, geography, information science, statistics, or a related field. ABDs will be considered, but a doctoral degree must be awarded by the starting date of the position.
● Experience with geographic information systems (GIS) and interactive web- GIS applications.
● Python programming skills.
● Experience in handling big geospatial datasets.
● Experience in writing and preparing manuscripts for publication.
● Excellent scientific writing and strong oral communication skills.
● Ability to work effectively, collaboratively, and collegially
● A good understanding of advanced spatial & statistical methods.
● Understanding and knowledge of the fields of health geography or disaster research.
● Experience in writing grant proposals.
To express interest in the position, contact Dr. Su Yeon Han (firstname.lastname@example.org). Submit application through the online system https: // jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/40923 and Include (1) a cover letter, (2) a detailed curriculum vitae; (3) a brief statement of research interest; (4) a sample of relevant publications, and (5) the names and contact details of three references. If you are interested in the position, please apply as soon as possible. Application will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The selected candidate will be required to provide official transcripts from the highest degree granting institution.