Highly motivated individuals with a PhD or MD/PhD in relevant area are encouraged to apply. This training position, under the direct supervision of a Cleveland Clinic Principal Investigator will provide practical training and experience in a research setting. This position is appointed through the Lerner Research Institute. The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate a commitment to research, a collaborative work ethic and strong communication skills, both written and verbal. This program is expected to be completed within 5 years.
Severe, progressive kidney diseases (CKD) are more common among Black patients than other populations. Variants in the APOL1 gene are strongly associated with excess kidney disease risk in African ancestral communities. The successful candidate will work on a collaborative project between the Sedor (https://www.lerner.ccf.org/immuno/sedor/), Wessely (https://www.lerner.ccf.org/cms/wessely/) and O’Toole (https://www.lerner.ccf.org/immuno/otoole/) labs that uses novel iPSC models to discover the pathways that cause APOL1-associated kidney disease and develop the tools to stop, even cure, them.
Principal Investigator: John Sedor, MD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Inflammation & Immunity
Lab Research Topics:
- Chronic kidney disease
- For more information about the lab’s research, please contact John Sedor at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Work independently
- Write manuscripts & grants
- Assist in other lab projects
- Supervise students and research assistants, as needed
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Knowledge in cellular & molecular biology
- Experience in developmental biology/kidney
- Bioinformatics experience
- Be self motivated and willing to learn new things
- Team player
- Ability to perform work in a stationary position for extended periods
- Ability to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Ability to communicate and exchange accurate information
- Ability to distinguish color
- Manual dexterity to handle specimens and repair equipment
- Ability to lift and transport equipment or specimens weighing up to 20 pounds
- May be exposed to hazardous chemicals, bio-hazards, radioactive materials, etc.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
All application materials should be submitted directly via email to John Sedor at email@example.com.
- Research statement
- 3 reference letters
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI
By embracing and understanding the diversity EVERY ONE brings, Cleveland Clinic has created an inclusive culture that promotes innovation, growth, and new ideas. This has enhanced our ability to attract the best global talent to provide the best patient experience possible. Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment/affirmative action employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities. Smoke/drug free environment.