A postdoctoral fellows position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Jennifer Spangle, Department of Radiation Oncology, Emory School of Medicine. We use a multidisciplinary approach leveraging molecular biology, epigenetics, chemical biology, and bioinformatics to dissect the molecular mechanisms by which chromatin is dysregulated in cancers, with the goal of identifying therapeutically actionable targets. Recently we established a novel and unbiased method for cataloguing cellular methylation events (Farhi, et al, bioRxiv, 2022), identified a new synergistic drug combination for the treatment of PI3K-activated, hormone receptor positive breast cancers (Jones, et al, Cancer Research Communications, 2022), and we are leveraging model organisms to define genetic vulnerabilities and therapeutic targets for oncohistone-driven cancers (Lemon, et al, G3, 2022).
Related ongoing projects include examining the role of PI3K-driven histone phosphorylation in cancer, and characterizing novel oncohistones. The candidate(s) will get in-depth exposure to cutting-edge epigenetics and epigenomics methods, and leverage preclinical models and clinical materials to advance their project(s).
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three referees to Jennifer.email@example.com.
- Designing and conducting cancer epigenetics research, using in vitro and/or in vivo models, drawing on the multidisciplinary approach described above
- Data analysis and presentation
- Handles literature, and prepares scientific manuscripts for publication
- Ph.D., M.D. or M.D./Ph.D. degree in genetics, molecular biology, chemical biology, cancer biology, epigenetics, bioinformatics, or related field.
- Track record of productivity with peer-reviewed publications, including at least one first-authored publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Less than 3 years previous postdoctoral experience
- Self-motivated and proactive scientist
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Experience in NGS data analysis