Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a fixed term specific purpose position as a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Microbial Ecology Laboratory in the School of Biological and Chemical Sciences and Ryan Institute at the National University of Ireland, Galway.
This position is funded by Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine and Enterprise Ireland and is available from September 2022 to contract end date of August 2024.
The position will be based in the Microbial Ecology Laboratory, led by Prof. Vincent O’Flaherty (www.oflahertylab.com https://www.nuigalway.ie/our-research/people/natural-sciences/vincentoflaherty/).
This position is focused on laboratory and field-scale studies on the microbial communities of anaerobic reactors fermenting organic residue feedstocks to biodegradable plastics, platform chemicals and biogas. In addition, it is focused on the enhancement of stored manure and slurry feedstocks for anaerobic fermentation. The overall aim of the research is to support mitigation of methane and other greenhouse emissions from Irish Agriculture. The research is funded by the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine and Enterprise Ireland.
- Nucleic acid extractions and purifications
- Operation of laboratory-scale anaerobic fermentation systems to valorise organic feedstocks to biodegradable plastics (PHA) and other platform chemical products (e.g. volatile and medium-chain length fatty acids)
- Work on field experimental sites with Teagasc, our project partners on field trials, to include analysis of gas samples, effluents and fermentation systems focused on mitigating greenhouse gas emissions from stored manure and slurry feedstocks.
- Preparation and delivery of oral and written reports
- Production of scientific publications
- Attendance and participation in scientific meetings, workshops and conferences.
- A PhD in Chemical Engineering or Microbial Engineering or cognate subject
- Experience of research on microbial bioplastics (Polyhydroxyalkanoates – PHA) production from wastes
- Experience of operating anaerobic and aerobic digesters at pilot-scale
- A track record of publications in the area of microbial PHA production in leading international peer-reviewed journals
- Experience of working with industry partners in research projects
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills
- Previous success in securing independent career development funding
- Full, clean driving license
- Experience of international conference presentation
- Experience of mentoring undergraduate students
Salary: € 39,522 to €44,350 per annum pro rata for shorter and/or part-time contracts (public sector pay policy rules pertaining to new entrants will apply).
Start date: Position is available from September 2022.
Continuing Professional Development/Training:
Researchers at NUI Galway are encouraged to avail of a range of training and development opportunities designed to support their personal career development plans.
‘NUI Galway provides continuing professional development supports for all researchers seeking to build their own career pathways either within or beyond academia. Researchers are encouraged to engage with our Researcher Development Centre (RDC) upon commencing employment – see www.nuigalway.ie/rdc for further information.’
Further information on research and working at NUI Galway is available on Research at NUI Galway
For information on moving to Ireland please see www.euraxess.ie
Further information about the Microbial Ecology Laboratory and Ryan Institute is available at www.oflahertylab.com and https://www.nuigalway.ie/ryaninstitute/
Applications to include a covering letter, CV, and the contact details of three referees should be sent, via e-mail (in word or PDF only) to Prof. Vincent O’Flaherty (Vincent.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please put reference number NUIG RES 206-22 in subject line of e-mail application.
Closing date for receipt of applications is 17.00 pm (Irish Time) 13th September 2022.
We reserve the right to re-advertise or extend the closing date for this post.
National University of Ireland, Galway is an equal opportunities employer.
All positions are recruited in line with Open, Transparent, Merit (OTM) and Competency based recruitment