Researcher (Temporary Position)University Of Bergen
The position is part of the project “Personalized Clinical Management of Endometrial Cancer using Liquid Biopsy, Genomics and Artificial Intelligence”, financed by The Norwegian Research Council.
About the project/work tasks:
The project is part of a multicenter EraPerMed project aiming to generate an algorithm (ECLAI) that combines molecular and clinical aspects to achieve new tools that improve the management of endometrial cancer patients.
· The candidate will use statistical methods and available computational algorithms to analyze genetic sequencing data from cancer samples from both patients and mouse models
· Data analysis will include calling somatic mutations as well as copy number alterations, and integration of output data from such analyses with clinical information
· For the right candidate, some wetlab work may be required, including cell culturing, drug treatment experiments and sample preparation with DNA and RNA extraction. Training in such experiment may be provided if needed.
· Some administrative tasks are associated with the position, including communication with other centers in the project, preparation and presentation of progress reports and ensuring sufficient project progress, including status of patient inclusion.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
· The candidate must have experience from applying computational methods in medical research, preferentially in cancer research
· Strong knowledge in mathematics is a requirement
· Extensive knowledge from using tools like RStudio, Python, Bash/Linux- based machines, or cloud computing is a requirement
· The candidate must have experience from analyzing RNA and DNA sequencing data, with a special knowledge on algorithms for detection of driver mutations, structural and copy number alterations and must have the ability to identify and implement new algorithms when needed.
· Candidates with experience from analyzing whole genome sequencing data will be favored.
· Must be fluent in spoken English and possess excellent written skills
· Must demonstrate a strong background within computational science
· Considerable emphasis will be placed on personal skills. The candidate must document ability to work independently and scientific creativity, high capacity for work, collaborative team work, strong motivation and commitment for science
We can offer:
· Exploratory and developing work tasks in a strong professional environment
· Salary from level 49-61 following ordinary meriting regulations (code 1108/ pay framework 25.3) at present NOK 454 200-553 500 gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion following ordinary meriting regulations
· Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
· Good welfare benefits
The following premise forms the basis for the post as researcher:
· The researcher will be a member of the research group of which the topic/project belongs to
· The salary shall if possible be 100 % covered by external financing
· The researcher shall actively contribute to attract external funding to the research project, both for her/his own position and other positions, from the Research Council of Norway, EU and other sources
· The researcher is expected to have her/his research activity financed by the project of the researcher and the projects of the associated research group
· The Head of Department may allocate work for the Researcher related to specific research projects
· The researcher may participate in committee work and other administrative tasks within the University of Bergen
· The researcher has no teaching duties, but is expected to supervise master students and PhD candidates when this is a natural part of the research activity of the research group
· The researcher may apply for competence promotion according to the regulations for promotions
· The basis for the position ceases if no further project funding and new law on state officials etc. on dismissal and preferential rights will be applied to permanent employees
Your application must include:
· Copies of diplomas and relevant certificates (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations)
· Eventual publications and academic work (max 10) you want to be considered and a list of these
· Two referees (name and contact information)
For further information, please contact Professor Camilla Krakstad, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org