Post-doctoral researcher position in Automated Reasoning
(Valid from 10/01/2022 to 14/03/2022)
Language: English (UK)
Organisation Computer Science
Job Number: UOL04707
Contract Fixed Term Contract
Duration 14 Month
Schedule Full Time
Work Hours 40.0 Hours per Week
The University | About us…
The University of Luxembourg is an international research university with a distinctly multilingual and interdisciplinary character. The University was
founded in 2003 and counts more than 6,700 students and more than 2,000 employees from around the world. The University’s faculties and interdisciplinary
centres focus on research in the areas of Computer Science and ICT Security, Materials Science, European and International Law, Finance and Financial
Innovation, Education, Contemporary and Digital History. In addition, the University focuses on cross-disciplinary research in the areas of Data
Modelling and Simulation as well as Health and System Biomedicine. Times Higher Education ranks the University of Luxembourg #3 worldwide for its
“international outlook,” #20 in the Young University Ranking 2021 and among the top 250 universities worldwide.
The Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine (FSTM) contributes multidisciplinary expertise in the fields
of Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Life Sciences and Medicine. Through its dual mission of teaching and research, the FSTM seeks to
generate and disseminate knowledge and train new generations of responsible citizens, in order to better understand, explain and advance society and
environment we live in.
The goal of the project “Automated Reasoning with Legal Entities” (AuReLeE) is to provide effective and general means for the automation of normative
reasoning processes based on legal knowledge bases. To this end, in the project the hired Postdoc will design (and optimally implement) reasoning
mechanisms for normative logics, in particular norm-based deontic logics. These decision procedures will be combined with a flexible approach to import
and re-use existing knowledge bases for their employment as underlying contexts for the normative reasoning tasks. The results of AuReLeE aim at allowing
the full utilization of existing legal knowledge bases’ potential for compliance checking.
Please see https://aurelee.net for details on the project.
AuReLeE is conducted at the Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine of the University of Luxembourg. It is hosted by the Individual and Collective
Reasoning (ICR) research group at the Department of Computer Science. AuReLeE is funded by the Luxembourg National Research Fund (FNR) under grant CORE
* Conducting high-quality research within the AuReLeE project
* Presentation of research findings at workshops and conferences
* Publication of scientific papers in peer-reviewed international journals
* Collaborate with project partners
What we expect from you…
* A PhD degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science or Mathematics, with a focus on computational logic, automated reasoning, symbolic logic or
* Evidence of high quality research including a demonstrated track record in quality publications
* Solid background in at least one of: computational logic, proof theory, automated reasoning, normative logics
* Strong analytical capacity, creativity, and commitment
* Very good written and spoken English skills; proficiency in French or German is a plus
* A dynamic, well-connected international research environment
* An exceptional opportunity to be part of an innovative academia-industry partnership with access to cutting edge research facilities
* Financial support for participating in scientific activities (workshops, conferences, schools, etc.)
* Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract 14 Month
* Work Hours: Full Time 40.0 Hours per Week
* Earliest starting date: March 2022
* Location: Belval
* Job Reference: UOL04707
The yearly gross salary for every Postdoctoral Researcher at the UL is EUR 75.285 (full time)
How to apply…
Applications in English should include:
* Academic CV
* Motivation letter
* Contact information of two references (we might contact them)
* List of publications
Early application is highly encouraged, as the applications will be processed upon reception. Please apply ONLINE formally through the HR system.
Applications by email will not be considered.
The University of Luxembourg embraces inclusion and diversity as key values. We are fully committed to removing any discriminatory barrier related to
gender, and not only, in recruitment and career progression of our staff.
In return you will get…
* Multilingual and international character. Modern institution with a personal atmosphere. Staff coming from 90 countries. Member of the “University of
the Greater Region” (UniGR).
* A modern and dynamic university. High-quality equipment. Close ties to the business world and to the Luxembourg labour market. A unique urban site
with excellent infrastructure.
* A partner for society and industry. Cooperation with European institutions, innovative companies, the Financial Centre and with numerous
non-academic partners such as ministries, local governments, associations, NGOs …
* Find out more about the University
* Addresses, maps & routes to the various sites of the University
For further information concerning this position, please contact Leon van der Torre (email@example.com) or Alexander Steen
Apply here https://emea3.recruitmentplatform.com/syndicated/private/syd_apply.cfm?ID=PSAFK026203F3VBQB7V7VV4I3&nPostingTargetId=102922&nPostingId=71296