Title of the Position: Postdoctoral Research Scholar
Appointment Length/Period: up to two years
Application Procedure: Please send a resume, 3 letters of recommendation, and a cover letter to Chih-Min Tang: firstname.lastname@example.org
Description of the Position:
This laboratory located at the Moores Cancer Center studies Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST), the most common sarcoma in the US, with focus on the mechanism of its tumorigenesis, drug resistance, disease recurrence, and ultimately, the identification of novel therapeutic agents for curing GIST. The postdoc will apply molecular, cellular, and computational approaches for ongoing projects in the lab: 1) to advance tailored GIST therapy by gaining a better understanding of the molecular mechanisms driving distinct GIST subtypes; 2) to study SDH-deficient GISTs, a distinct subset of GIST due to inherited germline mutations in the succinate dehydrogenase (SDH) genes using the first patient-derived cell model developed in the lab; and 3) to study the roles of cancer-associated fibroblasts (CAFs) in the GIST tumor microenvironment in order to explore a novel strategy for treating GIST: targeting both non-tumor CAFs and tumor cells.
Qualifications Required and Preferred Academic Background:
1) Requires doctoral degree (Ph.D., M.D.)
2) Theoretical and practical knowledge of cancer research with demonstrated ability to perform independent scientific inquiry or equivalent experience.
3) Theoretical and practical knowledge of techniques to cellular and genetic biology, with demonstrated ability to perform independent scientific inquiry or equivalent experience.
4) Experience working with DNA/RNA isolation, ELISA, PCR, flow cytometry, immunoblotting, and immunostaining of fixed/frozen tissues.
5) Experience with animal handling (including xenograft models) and aseptic techniques for cell/tissue culture.
6) Theoretical and practical knowledge of neural research with demonstrated ability to perform independent scientific inquiry or equivalent experience. (Preferred but not required)