Postdoctoral Researcher, Genetic Basis Of Convergent Evolution
University Of Oulu
Postdoctoral Researcher, Genetic Basis of Convergent Evolution
We are building the future with science! The University of Oulu is one of the biggest universities in Finland with various fields of science. We participate solving global challenges by combining multidisciplinary approaches, high-level research and successful collaboration. Many of our research units represent international top-level research in their fields.
We, at the University of Oulu, Ecology and Genetics Research Unit, are seeking a postdoctoral researcher to work on an Academy of Finland funded project investigating genetic underpinnings of convergent evolution of multi-queen colonies (polygyny) in ants.
The successful candidate will focus on analyzing genomic architecture and selection across the genomes of monogynous and polygynous ant species using whole-genome sequence data. Other tasks include supervision of Ph.D. and M.Sc. students and teaching at most 5% of working time. The project includes a two- month research visit to Uppsala University to work with Prof. Matthew Webster.
Ph.D. in biology, obtained within the last 10 years
Experience in population genomics and bioinformatics
Fluency in written and spoken English
The salary will be in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5-6. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). Starting gross salary will be 3400-3500€ per month. A trial period of six months is applied in the position. Occupational health care is included.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted using the electronic application form by 30 th of November 2021. The application should be written in English and include the following:
1) A motivation letter (max. 1 page) summarizing applicant’s professional experience and describing why applicant is interested in this position. Information on personal research interests, experience and career plan may also be provided here
2) Curriculum vitae (max. 4 pages)
3) List of publications based on the guidelines of the Academy of Finland: https: // www. aka.fi/en/research-funding/apply-for-funding/how-to- apply-for-funding/az-index-of-application-guidelines2/list-of-publications/
4) Certificates/Diplomas: Scanned copy of the original doctoral degree certificate and transcript of records and, when necessary, official translations to Finnish or English
5) Contact information of two senior/experienced researchers who may be asked to give a statement on the candidate
Only applications containing all relevant appendices and submitted through the online recruitment system will be considered. Top candidates will be invited to an on-site or remote interview.
The position is for 3 years, and the start date is negotiable (preferably spring 2022). A trial period of 6 months is applied in the position.
Please contact Dr. LumiViljakainen (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
Find out more about city of Oulu: https: // www. oulu.fi/university/living-in- oulu
Apply for the job Go back