Postdoctoral Research Fellow (104466-0921) . Job Reference: 1879360
University Of Warwick
Scaling Trust: An Anthropology of Cyber Security is a UKRI funded project bringing perspectives from anthropology and science and technology studies to bear on problems of cyber security. The project critically examines the nature of trust in digital infrastructures, and in institutions for assuring it. You will play an important role in conducting and analysing empirical fieldwork for the project. In developing and carrying out fieldwork engagements, you will work closely with collaborators in industry and government. These activities will involve developing flexible methodological approaches, suited to a technically and logistically complex field. While your focus will be primarily ethnographic, examining practices of technology evaluation, the research will also entail documentary, interview and workshop-based research.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• To conduct ethnographic research into cyber security practices, focussing, for instance, on processes of lab-based technology assurance. The study will be carried out at field sites in the UK and will be conducted in close collaboration with the PI Dr Matt Spencer.
• To support the PI in wider research activities in related areas, including through conducting documentary and textual analysis, interviews, and workshops.
• To develop higher-order constructs and produce theoretical and methodological contributions in the sociocultural analysis of cyber security.
• To work at the leading edge of sociocultural studies of cyber security.
• Familiarity with scholarly literature on the anthropology or sociology of technology, computing and/or security is desirable.
• To keep in regular contact with the PI on the progress of the research; attend regular project meetings, and alert the PI to any problems that may arise in the conduct of the research.
• To maintain and submit to the PI, frequent reports on materials and data collected and analysed during the duration of the project, and regularly update materials on the project’s on-line sources.
• In collaboration with the PI, to draft and revise research papers resulting in journal submission.
• Any other reasonable duties commensurate with the level of the post and as deemed appropriate by the PI.