RESEARCH SCIENTIST, SENIOR
RESEARCH SCIENTIST, SENIOR
Requisition Number: 143448
Date: Aug 9, 2021
Durham, NC, US, 27710
Personnel Area: MEDICAL CENTER
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
Duke University Medical Center
Director of the Flow Cytometry Core Facility
Duke University Medical Center (DUMC) is a world-class academic hospital, educational institution, and basic and clinical research center situated in Durham, NC. DUMC is seeking a highly motivated Director of the Flow Cytometry Core Facility, which offers a range of flow cytometry services to the research community.
The Flow Cytometry Core Director maintains a state-of-the art service facility, directs and develops a highly experienced staff, and works with investigators and trainees to educate them in experimental design, equipment use, and data analysis. The Director will be responsible for the management of operational and capital resources and will prepare planning reports in collaboration with the faculty advisor and business manager. The Director will report to the faculty advisor.
• PhD or other advanced degree in relevant biomedical field (immunology, biology, microbiology, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology etc.), with at least 3 years of flow cytometry experience, and at least one year of previous supervisory experience
• Strong technical background in biological sciences and complex flow cytometry assays
• Demonstrated ability in the interpretation and evaluation of data.
• Proven leadership skills based on previous supervisory experience.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills. Individual must interact with peers, experts in the field, and vendors, to keep abreast of advances in cytometry and related fields. Individual must interact with diverse users with a wide range of technical expertise and education.
• Evidence of and willingness to collaborate in the planning of research projects.
• Experience in providing instruction to students, postdoctoral fellows, and other researchers concerning technical procedures and solutions related to flow cytometry.
• Previous experience working in a core/shared resource facility is a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee daily operation and all aspects of the Flow Cytometry Core Facility.
• Operate and maintain existing analysis/sorting equipment. Participate in the selection of new facility equipment as needed to maintain a cutting-edge research facility. Perform and schedule routine and non-routine maintenance. Troubleshoot instrument problems and consult with vendor technical staff regarding the best approach for repair.
• Train new users of equipment and application software, and assist users in experimental design and in interpreting and evaluating raw data.
• Design and implement scheduling and other procedures and protocols appropriate for the management of multi-user equipment.
• Perform various administrative duties. Work with the business manager to prepare and monitor facility budgets. Oversee the billing to users. Design facility advertisements, brochures, and web pages. Prepare progress reports, strategic plans, resource descriptions, and other related tasks. Attend Department/Institute-specific program meetings and retreats to ensure members are familiar with the services offered and to learn what new cytometry needs exist across the institution.
• Network with other facility directors around campus in discussions of facility management and technical support for facility related projects. Attends departmental meetings as necessary to facilitate operation and knowledge transfer.
• Provide a safe working environment for staff members and facility users and monitor safety compliance as per university guidelines.
• Additional duties as assigned.
Applications, including (1) a cover letter describing relevant experiences and motivation; (2) curriculum vitae; and (3) names and contact information for three references, should be sent as a single PDF to email@example.com
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Nearest Major Market: Durham Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh