The School of Engineering at the University of British Columbia (UBC) invites applications for aPostdoctoral or a visiting scholar Fellow (PDF) position supervised by Dr. Jian Liu. This PDF position will be located at UBC’s Okanagan campus.
We are seeking a PDF to lead the development of fast-charging lithium-ion batteries in collaboration with a Canadian company.
Qualifications of applicant
- Have completed a relevant Ph.D. (e.g., in materials science, electrochemistry, or chemistry) within the last 5 years.
- Be highly motivated, organized, a good communicator (written and verbal), and passionate about battery research.
- Thrive in a team environment and mentoring/team-building role.
- Have a strong desire to conduct transformational research in close collaboration with the industry.
- Previous research experience in battery chemistry and battery technology.
Ideally, expertise in:
Technical aptitude in a laboratory environment, including electrode materials synthesis, electrode fabrication and electrochemical assessment, structural characterization techniques, experimental setup and operation for lithium-ion battery research.
Responsibilities and training:
- Develop and optimize new anode formulation and battery chemistry for fast-charging lithium-ion batteries, such as Li4Ti5O12-based electrode, electrode porosity and thickness, electrolyte, negative/positive ratio, etc.
- Refine manufacturing aspects of the electrode for fast-charging batteries
- Deliver clear and concise written and oral presentation of data, analysis, and internal/external reports. Prepare manuscripts for publications and present their work at national/international conferences.
- Communicate with the industrial partner regularly to update progress, receive guidance on new assignments, make preliminary selections on technical alternatives, and independently complete recurring assignments.
- Mentor junior students in both technical and safety matters.
Duration & Salary:
This full-time PDF position has an initial 1-year appointment (as per UBC policy for PDFs), with the potential for annual renewal/promotion up to 5 years.
The salary starts at $40,000/year minimum but is commensurate with qualifications and negotiable.
The anticipated start date is as soon as possible (negotiable). Review of applications will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please send your CV, cover letter, and contact information of 3 references, addressed to Dr. Jian Liu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
This posting is for the UBC Okanagan campus in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada.
Please refer to reference number NC-55253 during correspondence about this position.
Postdoctoral Fellows at UBC Okanagan
UBCO is home to a growing population of over 60 postdocs, contributing to a thriving culture of research that impacts our region, our country and the international community. The College of Graduate Studies partners with faculties and campus services to deliver mentorship opportunities, workshops, events and enriching experiences that prepare postdocs for futures in academia and the professional world. Our Postdoctoral Association provides and builds a welcoming community for postdocs on the UBC Okanagan campus.
UBC’s Okanagan campus borders the dynamic city of Kelowna, a hub of economic development with a population of about 150,000 people – the fourth fastest growing population in Canada. In fact, the Okanagan Valley is rated one of the best communities in Canada to grow your business. More than 160 buses travel daily from campus to key locations such as Kelowna’s cultural district and thriving downtown waterfront. The campus is two minutes from the Kelowna International Airport, one of the top 10 busiest airports in Canada.