Harvard Medical School (HMS)
Position: Harvard Medical School and the Wyss Institute for Biologically Inspired Engineering
Position available in the laboratory of Dr. Elliot Chaikof at Harvard Medical School and the Wyss Institute at Harvard University (wyss.harvard.edu/team/associate-faculty/elliot-chaikof/) for a candidate with experience in peptide synthesis.
The candidate is expected to closely interact with carbohydrate chemists to efficiently pursue glycopeptide therapeutics, as well as to develop peptide conjugation strategies to support drug discovery.
The project will focus on the synthesis of glycosulfopeptide mimics in collaboration with Richard D. Cummings, PhD (see Nat Comm 2015; 6: 6387 doi:10.1038/ncomms7387; Curr Opin Struct Biol 2020, 62:102–111).
PhD in medicinal chemistry, chemical biology or organic chemistry required. Submit CV to Elliot L. Chaikof, MD, PhD at email@example.com.
- Initiates and directs the design, synthesis, purification and characterization of glycopeptides.
- Facilitates the design of new bioactive compounds by interacting with other chemists.
- Monitors and evaluates completion of tasks and projects.
- Requires a PhD in medicinal chemistry, chemical biology or organic chemistry preferably with experience in peptide synthesis.
- Experience in glycopeptide chemistry and solid phase peptide synthesis helpful.
- Hands on experience with automated peptide synthesizer (e.g. Liberty Blue™) preferred.
- The candidate is expected to carry out peptide synthesis and closely interact with chemists to efficiently pursue glycopeptide therapeutics, as well as to develop novel peptide conjugation strategies to support drug discovery.
- Must be an energetic, out-of-box thinker with positive attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required, as is the desire and ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts.
- Demonstrated success as exemplified by peer-reviewed publications, scientific creativity, and independent thought.
Research Collaborator: Richard D. Cummings, PhD (Harvard)
Interested candidates should contact:
Elliot L. Chaikof, MD, PhD
Johnson and Johnson Professor：firstname.lastname@example.org
The Chaikof lab is located in the Center for Life Sciences Building in the Longwood medical area, directly adjacent to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital.