Applying for Holiday Leave
If you are working abroad as a post-doc or a visiting scholar, you may want to consider taking some time off work to travel around and go sightseeing. Regardless of which country you have chosen as your destination for your academic visit, there are always beautiful places that are worth visiting.
If you are planning to stay more than>eligible to apply for personal vacation time. If your stay will be shorter than> days off.
• Always plan in advance. Time off work has to be approved by your supervisors and it may also require to be processed by the International Department of your University, Laboratory or Hospital.
• Some institutions require you to notify them in advance if you are planning to visit another city or state, so check with them beforehand.
• It is also very likely that you may need to fill out an Application Form.
• You can take advantage of big national holidays to try and extend them a bit more, so that you won’t lose too many days of work.
• If your application is approved, remember to notify all of your coworkers and set up your email account, so it sends automatic responses for the days you will not be able to be reached.
A: Post-Doc Visitor 博士后
B: Host Professor 接收方教授
A: Prof. Adams, do you have a minute?
B: Sure. What’s up?
A: Since next month we will be having some days off for the Christmas Holiday, I wanted to ask you if it is possible for me to take some extra days off work, as I wanted to use this opportunity to travel with my family and go sightseeing.
B: It’s a good thing you told me with>B: 提前一个月告诉我请假的事情是很好的。我觉得应该没问题。但是关于请假的事情，您还需要联系国际访问处的工作人员。您准备请几天假？
A: Just 2 extra days right after the Christmas Holiday.
B: Ok, from my side it’s alright. I’ll send an email to the International Department and CC you. Just follow their instructions. I believe you will need to fill out an application form and have me sign it. Also, if you are planning to go to another city, you will need to provide certain details of your trip to the International Department, such as where you will be staying.
A: Thank you Prof. Adams. And yes, I’m planning to visit the Grand Canyon… So, yes…. I’ll be visiting another city. I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for letting me know.
B: Oh the Great Canyon is breathtaking! I’m sure your family will enjoy it very much. I went there last year, it is truly worth a visit.
A: Yes, I did some research>A: 是的，我在网上查阅了一些信息，看起来确实不错。感谢您的理解，亚当斯教授。
B: Sure! Oh… And don’t forget to set up your email account so that during the 2 days you won’t be here, your incoming emails be copied to Jason and that everyone receives an automatic response.
A: Of course. I’ll make sure Jason receives my emails during those 2 days and I will set up the automatic response in advance. Thanks again!