Postdoctoral Researcher, PEDEGO Research Unit, Faculty Of Medicine
University Of Oulu
Postdoctoral Researcher, PEDEGO Research Unit, Faculty of Medicine
The North changes the world – we at the University of Oulu work as part of the international science community to produce new scientific information and science-based solutions. We are committed to educate future pioneers to build a more sustainable, intelligent and humane world. Creating new, taking responsibility and succeeding together are values that build a strong foundation for all our actions. We offer a working environment where individuals can cultivate their skills, do meaningful work, and develop professionally. Our university’s several specialized research and service units enable extensive and diverse development and career opportunities for experts in various fields.
We are now looking for a Postdoctoral Researcher in a Biomedical research group at the PEDEGO Research Unit, University of Oulu.
Applications are invited for a full-time Postdoctoral Researcher position for 18 months, in a research group headed by Professor TerhiPiltonen (https: // www. oulu.fi/mrc/research-groups/piltonen). The team focuses on lifelong health of women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Prof. Piltonen is interested in endometrial function in PCOS and how it is affected by hormonal and metabolic factors. The research project of the postdoctoral researcher will utilize a PCOS mouse model to study how prenatal factors and environment modify the uterine niche, metabolism of the mice, and their fertility. The postdoctoral researcher will characterize the phenotype of the mice and the molecular pathways that are affected by PCOS in various tissues and primary cell cultures (human, mouse). The project is done in close collaboration with assistant professor Renata Prunskaite-Hyyryläinen and her research team.
– A Doctoral Degree, or proof of a defence date, preferably in the field of biochemistry, molecular or cell biology, medical sciences, or related fields.
– Competence to carry out procedures on animals within the EU, proven by a course and practical training certificate.
– Prior experience from research on mice and preclinical disease models is required. The candidate is also expected to possess a solid background in molecular and cellular biology, histology, and imaging methods.
– Ability to pursue independent research, work productively in a team, supervise younger scientists, excellent writing skills, and fluency in English are expected. Good scientific presentation skills are required.
– Ability to write documents in Finnish (e.g. to ethical boards) will be considered an advantage.
What we offer
You will become a part of a highly talented research group, working on a strategically and globally significant research area
You will receive support not only from your team and supervisor, but also from university´s wide variety of support services, so that you can excel in your studies and research / work.
In addition to modern research facilities, we offer you personnel benefits such as occupational healthcare, affordable sport services and salary payments for 12 months / year.
A salary in accordance with the Finnish universities salary system (for teaching and research personnel): level 5. In addition, a salary component based on personal work performance will be paid (maximum of 50% of the job-specific component). In practice, the salary is roughly 3400 € per month (before taxes) for an early-stage postdoc, depending on the appointee’s qualifications and prior experience.
Other benefits : The successful candidate will receive full benefits provided by the University of Oulu to university employees, including free time corresponding to holidays and free occupational health care services. The successful candidate will receive also benefits provided by the Finnish government to residents, for example possibility to obtain access to the national healthcare system, tax benefits for employees with children and high-quality affordable childcare services.
Applications must be submitted using the electronic application form by January 9th 2022 (23:59 Finnish local time), with the following attachments as three separate pdf files:
1) A Complete CV containing contact information of at least two referees (Max. size limit of the attachment: 5 Mbytes)
2) Motivation letter (maximum 1 page) describing prior knowledge and research interests, and career plans (1-2 pages; max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes).
3) Certificates/Diplomas : Scanned electronic copies of diplomas and transcripts of the records of relevant previous degrees. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish. (Max. size limit of the attachment: 2 Mbytes)
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Other relevant information
The eligible applicants fitting best in the research profile expected for the position may be invited to an on-site or remote interview. All applicants will be notified when the selection process is completed. The earliest start date is 1st of February 2022. A trial period of six months is applied in the position.
For Further Information Contact:
Professor TerhiPiltonen, e-mail: terhi.piltonen (a) oulu.fi