Senior/Postdoctoral Associate (Ref: IRG_AMR_2021_007)
Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART)
Over the years, malaria cases have plateaued as the upper limit of vector control appears to have been reached. Coupled with the emergence of drug resistance, there is a real possibility that the gains in malaria control achieved in the past may be reversed. Targeting malaria transmission is a key strategy that can reduce both malaria cases and limit the spread of drug resistance. Critical to malaria transmission, is the process of sexual commitment resulting in the production of gametocytes.
This work aims to identify how environment stresses are sensed by the malaria parasite resulting in changes in sexual commitment. Specifically, we want to delineate the molecular mechanism of how environmental signals are propagated through the host cytoplasm and into the parasite, resulting in the generation of gametogenesis.
The candidate will investigate the interaction between environmental signals from the host and how they impact parasite biology. The project will focus on identification of host and parasite signal pathways and molecules that enable parasite sensing of the environment. Through this investigation, the candidate will gain insights into how environmental signals drive transcriptional responses. The candidate will also prepare and publish scientific manuscripts Requirements
• PhD in Biosciences with focus on cell / molecular biology
• Demonstrated expertise in biochemical and molecular biology techniques is essential
• Experience in cell signalling a plus
• Experience with next-generation sequencing, malaria culture, CRISPR-editing, and systems analysis of molecular interactions is desirable
• Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills
• Strong interpersonal skills for collaborative working, to be self-motivated, well organised and focused
To apply, please visit our website at: http://smart.mit.edu/careers/career-opportunities. Interested applicants are invited to send in their full CV/resume, cover letter and list of three references (to include reference names and contact information). We regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.