European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)
About the team/job
EMBL-EBI and Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute share the Wellcome Genome Campus.
This proximity fosters close collaborations and contributes to an international and vibrant campus environment. Researchers are supported by easy access to scientific expertise, well-equipped facilities and an active seminar programme.
The EMBL-EBI–Sanger Postdoctoral (ESPOD) Programme builds on the strong collaborative relationship between the two institutes, offering projects which combine experimental (wet lab) and computational approaches.
Projects may be selected from pre-defined areas or proposed by the applicant. In the case of self-defined projects, the area of work must have been agreed with both EMBL-EBI and Sanger-based group leaders. The postdoctoral fellowships will be awarded in 2021. All ESPOD fellowships must be undertaken within 12 months of the fellowship being awarded.
The projects on offer for 2021 are:
1. Bateman – Adams: Deep Mutational Scanning of the Dark Proteome
2. Birney – Lawziniak: Long reads to investigate within species variation across the Tree of Life
3. Garnett – Cortés-Ciriano – Francies: Investigating genomic instability as a driver of cancer therapeutic dependencies
4. Flicek – Teeling (AF) – Blaxter (WSI): Regulatory evolution of mammalian longevity
5. Papatheodorou – Bayraktar: Dissecting spinal cord injury in space and time using multi-omic approaches
6. Uhlmann – Vento-Tormo – Bayraktar (WSI): Generating 3D-maps of gonadal tissues
7. Corander – Iqbal – Bently: Negative frequency-dependent selection in Staphylococcus aureus
8. Self proposed project
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI, part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
• Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
•Flexible working arrangements
• Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
• Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
• Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
• Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
• Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
• Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
• Contract duration: This position is a 3 year fellowship contract with the possibility of an extension.
• International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
• Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
• Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
• How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter stating your preference of project and a CV through our online system. If you wish to propose your own project, please upload an overview using the project proposal upload. Please also include two recent letters of recommendation. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 12th September 2021.
• Interviews: We plan to hold interviews on 11th November 2022.