Pompeu Fabra University (UPF)
Postdoctoral Position in Molecular basis and epigenetic regulation of muscle aging
We seek for a highly competitive postdoctoral fellow to join the Cell Biology Lab (PI: Pura Muñoz-Canoves) working in a project regarding skeletal muscle aging.
We are looking for highly motivated and ambitious experimental biologists, with a strong background in single cell/nuclei genomics and epigenomics, to join our research team in the Department of Experimental and Health Sciences of the Pompeu Fabra University (UPF) at the PRBB, in Barcelona.
Our group studies the mechanisms underlying tissue regenerative decline with aging, and in particular the mechanisms controlling muscle aging (sarcopenia), with the aim of preventing or delaying sarcopenia through rejuvenating strategies.
The selected candidate will be employed on a three-years project aiming to combine single cell transcriptomics and epigenetics, bioinformatics and computational biology to define the intricate regulatory circuitry of muscle aging and potential rejuvenating strategies.
Recent publications from the lab
· García-Prat L, Perdiguero E, Alonso-Martín S, Dell’Orso S, Ravichandran K, Brooks SR, Juan AH, Campanario S, Jiang K, Hong X, Ortet L, Moiseeva V, Rebollo E, Sun H-W, Musarò A, Sandri M, del Sol A, Sartorelli V, Muñoz-Cánoves P. FoxO maintains a genuine muscle stem-cell quiescent state until geriatric age. Nature Cell Biol, 2020
· Segalés J, Perdiguero R, Serrano AL, Sousa-Victor P, Ortet L, Jardi M, Budanov A, Garcia-Prat L, Sandri M, David M. Thomson DM, Karin M, Lee JH, Muñoz-Cánoves P. Sestrin prevents atrophy of disused and aging muscles by integrating anabolic and catabolic signals. Nature Commun, 2020
· Solanas G, Peixoto FO, Perdiguero E, Jardí M, Ruiz-Bonilla V, Datta D, Symeonidi A, Welz PS, Caballero JM, Sassone-Corsi P, Muñoz-Cánoves P*, Benitah SA*. Aged stem cells reprogram their daily rhythmic functions to adapt to stress. Cell, 2017
· Autophagy maintains stemness by preventing senescence. García-Prat L, Martínez-Vicente M, Perdiguero E, Ortet L, Rodríguez-Ubreva J, Rebollo E, Ruiz-Bonilla V, Gutarra S, Ballestar E, Serrano AL, Sandri M, Muñoz-Cánoves P. Nature 529:37-42, 2016
· Geriatric muscle stem cells switch reversible quiescence into senescence. Sousa-Victor P, Gutarra S, García-Prat L, Rodriguez-Ubreva J, Ortet L, Ruiz-Bonilla V, Jardí M, Ballestar E, González S, Serrano AL, Perdiguero E, Muñoz-Cánoves P. Nature 506:316-21, 2014
PhD in Life sciences is required for postdoctoral applicants.
Highly motivated candidates with a strong interest in tissue regeneration, aging and bioinformatics are encouraged to apply.
We will specially value:
•experience in single-cell profiling techniques and data analysis (either scRNA-seq, snRNAseq, DNA methylome or chromatin accessibility of single nuclei)
•excellent communication skills in written and spoken English