Area: School of Chemical Engineering in the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £30,942 to £40,322 with potential progression once in post to £42,792
Hours: Full time
Duration: Fixed-term for up to 24 months
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston,
Closing Date: 1 May 2020
The aim of this project will be to develop a novel spray delivery system for the treatment and prevention of mucosal scarring in epidermolysis bullosa.
The successful applicant will be expected to have a multidisciplinary background and although they will be based in the School of Chemical Engineering, will work closely with clinicians and collaborators across other schools at the university.
This project will work towards the development of a new spray delivery system as both a treatment and preventive strategy for scarring that affects the mucosa or membranes in the body which characterises EB, and the associated morbidity. The final output of the project will be a system formulated and manufactured in a way that would allow it to be used in a future clinical trial.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
The responsibilities may include some but not all of the responsibilities outlined below:
• Conduct and assist in the delivery of research relating to the development of a novel spray delivery system for the treatment of mucosal scarring in epidermolysis bullosa.
• Contribute to writing bids for research funding
• Analyse and interpret data
• Apply knowledge in a way which develops new intellectual understanding
• Disseminate research findings for publication, research seminars etc
• Supervise students on research related work and provide guidance to PhD students where appropriate to the discipline
• Contribute to developing new models, techniques and methods
• Undertake management/administration arising from research
• Contribute to Departmental/School research-related activities and research- related administration
• Contribute to enterprise, business development and/or public engagement activities of manifest benefit to the College and the University, often under supervision of a project leader
• Collect research data; this may be through a variety of research methods, such as scientific experimentation, literature reviews, and research interviews *
• Present research outputs, including drafting academic publications or parts thereof, for example at seminars and as posters *
• Provide guidance, as required, to support staff and any students who may be assisting with the research *
• Deal with problems that may affect the achievement of research objectives and deadlines*
• Hold or be close to completing PhD or visiting scholar in a relevant discipline and, a strong interest in multidisciplinary science.
• First degree in a physical science or engineering subject
• High level analytical capability and experience of the application of soft materials
• Ability to communicate complex information clearly to a range of stakeholders, including clinical and industrial partners
• Fluency in relevant models, techniques or methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones
• Ability to assess resource requirements and use resources effectively
• Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
• Experience of supervising PhD or PG project students
• Experience of working with soft materials
• Knowledge and experience of mechanical testing of medical devices
• Expertise in GMP processing
• Knowledge of relevant regulation and translational routes for medical devices
The University is committed to safeguarding and we promote safe working practice, therefore all occupational health checks required for this role will be taken once individuals are appointed. Due to the nature of the work undertaken in this role all successful applicants will be required to complete an Occupational Health assessment once in post.
Informal enquiries can be made to Professor Liam Grover, firstname.lastname@example.org.
伯明翰大学（University of Birmingham），简称“伯大”，始建于1825年，位于英国第二大城市伯明翰的世界百强名校，英国顶尖学府，英国著名的六所红砖大学之一，曾于1900年获英国维多利亚女王授予的皇家特许状。学校同时也是罗素大学集团、M5大学联盟、全球大学高研院联盟成员，Universitas 21创始成员，中英大学工程教育与研究联盟成员，在REF 2014 英国大学官方排名中稳居全英前十五 。
伯明翰大学被泰晤士报和星期日泰晤士报（The Times & The Sunday Times）评为2013-2014“年度大学”。在2017年英国官方组织的教学卓越框架（TEF）评估中，居全英第3名。2019年，伯明翰大学名列2020年QS世界大学排名第81(历史最高：62名，2014)，2020年USNews世界大学排名第96 。